Synth Controller Overview
The Synth Controller is a highly specialized midicontroller allowing realtime edits on your favourite music synthesizer with 16 knobs. At the moment you dial a knob the Synth Controller sends the appropriate command to your synth which immediately changes it’s sound. Completely independent from software and computers.
The midicontroller will be plugged in between the midi sending device and your synth. It merges incoming midi data with it’s own parameter change commands and forwards both to your synthesizer. Means: you can perfectly fire your synth with midinotes while tweaking it’s sound with the synth controller – realtime.
The 16 dials of the Synth Controller are split in 3 color layers, each knob has printed up to 3 parameters under the knob. By pressing one of the 3 immluminated push buttons you select one of the layers. In consequence you got up tp 48 parameters in direct access.
The Synth Controller also got a built in translator converting incoming ordinary CC (‘Controller Change’) data into the complex Sysex commands. You can remote or automate your parameter changes using Midi-CC data. (Translator only present in editions using SysEx-data for parameter changes).
Synth Controller Features
- Synthesizer eardware realtime editor
- High quality and durable parts
- Cute and tough steelcase Made in Germany
- Potentiometers for direct access, (no endless encoders)
- Diode to prevent damage by wrong polarity of PSU
- Faceplate design suitable to the design of the target synth
- Highly optimized, native firmware
- firmware update through Midi-Sysex-Dump
- Built in ‘CC / Sysex’-translator. Automate your synth with ordinary CC-data. (Only in editions using sysEx-data)
- Dials with few value changes (e.g. LFO waveform) just send data if changes really happen. No sending of redundant data.
- Handy ‘turn the pot but dont send data’-feature to prevent parameter jumps
- ‘Bypass Mode’ letting pass all incoming data unprocessed and locking all pots against unintended changes
- Learnt midi channel keeps stored on power down
- Real, printed, 16 paged paper manual included
- Available as DIY-kit or out-of-the-box
Synth Controller Editions
We offer numerous different editions for a series of vintage synthesizers. Each one is carefully designed and highly optimized for it’s target synth. Click the weblinks to open the faceplate graphics in a new browser window:
Faceplates for personal printout
You’d like to check out another edition? Here you’ll get the suitable faceplate. You can just put it aside your controller for overviewing the parameters or you cut out the holes and glue it temporarily onto your old faceplate.
Here you can download the Midi Sysex Firmware Dumps for the Stereoping Synth Controller. You can try out other editions if you like, each Firmware can safely be dumped into any edition. Please check the manual how to update the firmware.
- 03/2018 – New edition ‚SX240‘ for Kawai SX-240 with Tauntek EPROM
- 05/2017 – Update for Editions 1016R, 8P, 8000, G8P, K1, K3, K4, Alpha, Microwave 1&2, JX70 und M-80 – bugfix:CC translation now only on basechannel, CCs on other midichannels are passed thru
- 07/2017 – Update ‘Thet4’ auf V3.4 – bugfix:VCA Env Sustain knob sent VCF Env Sustain
- 05/2017 – Update ’81Z’ to V3.21 – bugfixes:CC translation now only on basechannel, KVS of OP4 now working
- 02/2017 – Update ’81Z’ to V3.1 – additional parameters like LFO DELAY, pitch envelope for DX11 and more
- 01/2017 – Bugfix for ‘M-80’ to V3.2 – many issues of V3.0 fixed. This firmware was used for the demovideo
- 12/2016 – Bugfix for ‘1016R’ to V3.1 – wrong values in extreme positions of DCO1 LFO1 pitch, DCO2 LFO2 PW, ENV 1 VCF Amnt and Env 3 FM Amnt
- 12/2016 – New editions ‘K4’ for Kawai K4/K4r and ‘M-80’ for Roland MKS-80
- 07/2016 – New Edition ‘Super Quart7’ for Roland MKS-7 Super Quartet
- 07/2016 – New Edition ‘Thet4’ for DSI TETRA
- 06/2016 – Updated ‘Juno66’ to V3.1 to supply the 3 new parameters introduced in Tubbutec OS V1.23
- 06/2016 – Updated ‘1oh1’ to V3.1: Bugfix. CC# for remoting the SH101 are not passed through
- 06/2016 – New Edition ‘JX-70’ for MKS-70 und JX-10
- 05/2016 – SixTweak to V3.1 – passes all CC thru to the SixTrak for external Midi-Modulation
- 05/2016 – New edition ‘G8-P’ for Roland GP-8
- 03/2016 – ESQ8 from Beta to V0.6 – ‘All notes off’ now working
- 02/2016 – all Firmwares now at V3.0. All channels, realtime- and Sysex-Data will be passed through, no filtering anymore. Bugfix: after receiving an aftertouch-event pot-tweaking did not send data until any other event came in.
- 02/2016 – 1016R to 3.0: Bugfix. Init#Patch function did not work
- 08/2015 – Microwave to V1.9: Bugfix. All Midichannels above Channel 1 were blocked
- 03/2015 – AlphaJ to V1.44: Bugfix. Midichannel for Chord Memory select and ‘Mono/Poly/Chord’ was not learable and always kept on channel 1
- 03/2015 – AlphaJ to V1.43: Bugfix. Range for all envelope levels now 0-127. Recent versions ranged 0-32
- 02/2015 – 81Z to V1.41: data is sent even slightly slower to prevent the TX81Z’s ‘Midibuffer full’. This version was used for the video Demo-Video
- 02/2015 – AlphaJ to V1.42: ‘Mono/Poly’ offers selection of the 3 patch settings ‘Mono/Poly/Chord’ on the MKS-50 (no function on Alpha Juno). The empty green knob between ‘VFC LFO’ and ‘VCF AFTR’ now allows the selction of one of the 16 Patch Chord Memory Presets (not supported by Alpha Juno). This parameter can be controlled by CC No 49. PORTAMENTO now not only changes the Portamento-Time but also turns it On (Times>0) and Off (leftmost position)
- 12/2014 – 1006r to V1.4: mididata filter now lets pass mididata on all midichannels to allow guitar mode
- 12/2014 – 8000 to V1.4: Midiclock now passes through for external syncing of arpeggiator
- 11/2014 – Microwave to V1.5: Bugfixes CC/SysEx-Translator and Bypass/Filtering of Midichannels > 1
- 08/2014 – all Editions to 1.3: resolution of some parameters while turning a knob now correspond the resolution of the synths parameter. Some values were skipped in prior versions.
- 08/2014 – 1006R to V1.3: Matrix 6/6r now supported. Further noticable optimisation of problemativ parameters
Frequently Asked Questions
Some weblinks to youTube demos of the Synth Controllers. They will open in a new window:
Where to get
You can get the Synth Controller directly in the Stereoping-Shop or from one of the following distributors: